Highlanders v Sharks - Sat 5 May, Kings Park, Durban
The Highlanders went down to the Sharks in Durban tonight - 28 points to 16. The Highlanders were first to cross the chalk, with replacement Kurt Baker scoring his second try of the season, however this was not enough as the boot of Springbok Patrick Lambie proved to be the difference. Lambie kicked seven panalities and crossed for his sides only try which he duly converted to score all 28 points for the home side.
The Highlanders have some injury concerns following the game, with Shaun Treeby, Elliot Dixon and Doug Teitjens all suffering injuries during the game. The Highlanders now travel back to Dunedin to play the Hurricanes on Saturday 12 May at Forsyth Barr Stadium.
The full time score is Sharks 28 Highlanders 16
Tries -P Lambie
Pen - P Lambie 7
Con - P Lambie
Cards - J Botes (31st min yellow)
Tries - K Baker
Pen - M Delany 3
Con - M Delany
Referee: Steve Walsh
Assistant Ref 1:Lourens van der Merwe
Assistant Ref 2:Reuben Roussouw
1. Tendai Mtawarira, 2. Bismarck du Plessis, 3. Jannie du Plessis / Wiehahn Herbst, 4. Steven Sykes, 5. Anton Bresler, 6. Jacques Botes, 7. Marcell Coetzee, 8. Keegan Daniel (C), 9. Charl McLeod, 10. Patrick Lambie, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 12. Tim Whitehead, 13. Paul Jordaan, 14. JP Pietersen, 15. Louis Ludik
Replacements, 16. Craig Burden, 17. Wiehahn Herbst / Jannie du Plessis, 18. Pieter-Steph du Toit, 19. Jean Deysel, 20. Ryan Kankowski, 21. Frederic Michalak, 22. Meyer Bosman
1 Jamie Mackintosh (C) 2 Andrew Hore 3 Chris King 4 Josh Bekhuis 5 Jarrad Hoeata, 6 Adam Thomson, 7 Doug Tietjens, 8 Nasi Manu ,9 Aaron Smith, 10 Mike Delany ,11 Hosea Gear ,12 Shaun Treeby ,13 Tamati Ellison, 14 Siale Piutau, 15 Ben Smith
Reserves 16 Jason Rutledge, 17 Ma’afu Fia/Jacob Ellison, 18 Culum Retallick, 19 Elliot Dixon ,20 Jimmy Cowan ,21 Chris Noake, 22 Kurt Baker
Highlanders v Blues - Fri 20 April, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
The Highlanders came from behind in Dunedin tonight to beat the Blues and win the Gordon Hunter Memorial Trophy for the first time since 2006. The home team took a two point lead into the break, but fell behind in the second spell when Rene Ranger crossed for the Blues with 17 minutes remaining on the ever accurate stadium clock. Referee Bryce Lawrence threatened to blow the pea out of his whistle as the penalty count mounted and it was great to see replacement full back Kurt Baker touch down for the match-winning try!
Final Score Highlanders 30 (16) Blues 27 (14).
Tries - S. Treeby, K. Baker
Pen - M. Delany 6
Con - M. Delany 2
Tries - H. Parkes, R. Ranger
Pen - G. Anscombe 5
Con - G. Anscombe
Referee: Bryce Lawrence
Assistant Ref 1: Mike Fraser
Assistant Ref 2: Kane McBride
1. Jamie Mackintosh (c), 2. Andrew Hore, 3. Chris King, 4. Josh Bekhuis, 5. Jarrad Hoeata, 6. Adam Thomson, 7. James Haskell, 8. Nasi Manu, 9. Aaron Smith, 10. Mike Delany, 11. Hosea Gear, 12. Shaun Treeby, 13. Phil Burleigh, 14. Kade Poki, 15. Tamati Ellison.
Reserves: 16. Jason Rutledge, 17. Ma’afu Fia, 18. Doug Tietjens, 19. Culum Retallick, 20. Jimmy Cowan, 21. Chris Noakes, 22. Kurt Baker.
1. Tony Woodcock, 2. Tom McCartney, 3. Charlie Faumuina, 4. Ali Williams, 5. Filo Paulo, 6. Chris Lowrey, 7. Luke Braid (c), 8. Peter Saili, 9. Alby Mathewson, 10. Gareth Anscombe, 11. Benson Stanley, 12. Ma’a Nonu, 13. Rene Ranger, 14. George Moala, 15. Hadleigh Parkes.
Replacements: 16 James Parsons, 17 Tevita Mailau, 18 Liaki Moli, 19 Dan Braid, 20 Piri Weepu, 21 Michael Hobbs, 22 David Raikuna.
Highlanders v Cheetahs - Sat 26 April, Bloemfontein, South Africa
Chris Noakes kicked a 79th minute penalty to give the Highlanders an amazing victory against the Cheetahs tonight. The Highlanders were down 23-9 at the break, however two tries in three minuts to replacement halfback gave the Highlanders all they needed to get back into the match. The scores were leved with 5 minutes to play, and the Cheetahs were handed the chance to win the game with a penalty awarded right in front of the hornes. The Bloemfontein crowd cannot believe their eyes as Sias Ebersohn hooks the penalty from directly in front of the posts giving the Highlanders an opportunity to win the game, which they take in the 79th minute. Ben Smith was a sandout for the Highlanders and was named man of the match.
The final score is Cheetahs 33 (23) Highlanders 36 (9).
Tries - C. Oosthuizen, A. Ferreira, J. Goosen
Pen - J. Goosen 3, S. Ebersohn
Con - J. Goosen 2, S. Ebersohn
Tries - C. Noakes, J. Cowan 2
Pen - M. Delany 3, C. Noakes 2
Con - M. Delany, C. Noakes 2
Cards - A. Hore (yellow), J. Haskell (yellow and white)
Referee: Marius Jonker
Assistant Ref 1: Sindile Mayende
Assistant Ref 2: Stefan Breytenbach
TMO: Shaun Veldsman
15. Hennie Daniller, 14. Cameron Jacobs, 13. Robert Ebersohn, 12. Andries Strauss, 11. Willie le Roux, 10. Johan Goosen, 9. Tewis de Bruyn, 8. Philip van der Walt, 7. Justin Downey, 6. Heinrich Brüssow, 5. Izak van der Westhuizen, 4. Andries Ferreira, 3. WP Nel, 2. Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1. Coenie Oosthuizen.
Replacements: 16. Hercu Liebenberg, 17. Trevor Nyakane, 18. George Earle, 19. Ashley Johnson, 20. Piet van Zyl, 21. Sias Ebersohn, 22. Philip Snyman.
1. Jamie Mackintosh (C,) 2. Andrew Hore, 3. Chris King, 4. Josh Bekhuis, 5. Jarrad Hoeata, 6. Adam Thomson, 7. James Haskell, 8. Nasi Manu, 9. Aaron Smith, 10. Mike Delany, 11. Hosea Gear, 12. Shaun Treeby, 13. Tamati Ellison, 14. Buxton Popoali’i, 15. Ben Smith.
Replacements: 16. Jason Rutledge, 17. Ma’afu Fia, 18. Culum Retallick, 19. Doug Tietjens, 20. Jimmy Cowan, 21. Chris Noakes, 22, Siale Piutau.
Highlanders v Stormers - Sat 7 April, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
The Highlanders suffered their second loss of the season going down to the Stormers 21-6 at Forsyth Barr Stadium tonight. The Stormers scored two tries and played an aggressive style of Rugby which laid the foundation for the win. Highlanders pivot, Chris Noakes, kicked two penalties for the home side.
Final Score Highlanders 6 (6) Stormers 21 (15).
Pen - C. Noakes 2
Tries - G. Aplon, J. Pietersen
Pen - J. Pietersen, P. Grant 2
Con - P. Grant
Cards - T. Liebenberg (yellow)
Assistant Ref 1: Keith Brown
Assistant Ref 2: Kane McBride
TMO: Vinny Munro
15. Ben Smith, 14. Kade Poki, 13. Tamati Ellison, 12. Shaun Treeby, 11. Hosea Gear, 10. Chris Noakes, 9. Aaron Smith, 8. Nasi Manu, 7. James Haskell, 6. Adam Thompson, 5. Jarrad Hoeata, 4. Josh Bekhuis, 3. Chris King, 2. Andrew Hore, 1. Jamie Mackintosh (c).
Replacements: 16. Jason Rutledge, 17. Ma'afu Fia, 18. Culum Retallick, 19. Doug Tietjens, 20. Jimmy Cowan, 21. Buxton Popoali'i, 22. Phil Burleigh.
Highlanders v Rebels - Fri 30 March, Rugby Park Stadium, Invercargill
On a mild night in Invercargill the Highlanders turned a cold start into a super hot finish to beat the Rebels 43-12 to collect their first 4-try bonus point win of the season tonight. The Highlanders went into the shed with a 12 points on the scoreboard, the same as the Rebels, but seven trys in the second half saw the home team run out convincing winners. Adam Thomson starred for the Highlanders scoring three tries and he was supported by a forward pack that dominated the majority of the match. Ben Smith was another standout, assisting Thomson with his efforts across the line and bagging a brace of tries himself.
Final Score Highlanders 43 (12) Rebels 12 (12)
Tries - B. Smith 2, A. Thomson 3, K. Poki, J. Mackintosh
Con - C. Noakes 4
Cards - D. Tietjens (yellow)
Pen - J. O'Connor 4
Cards - L. Johansson (yellow and white),
Referee: Marius Jonker (South Africa)
Assistant Ref 1: Vinny Munro
Assistant Ref 2: Lourens vd Merwe
TMO: Kane McBride
1. Jamie Mackintosh (c), 2. Jason Rutledge. 3. Chris King, 4. Josh Bekhuis, 5. Jarrad Hoeata, 6. Adam Thomson, 7. James Haskell, 8. Nasi Manu, 9. Aaron Smith, 10. Chris Noakes, 11. Hosea Gear, 12. Shaun Treeby, 13. Tamati Ellison, 14. Kade Poki, 15. Ben Smith.
Reserves: 16. Brayden Mitchell, 17. Ma'afu Fia, 18. Culum Retallick, 19. Doug Tietjens, 20. Jimmy Cowan, 21. Phil Burleigh, 22. Buxton Popoali'i.
1. Nic Henderson, 2..Adam Freier, 3. Laurie Weeks, 4. Luke Jones, 5. Hugh Pyle (vc), 6. Jarrod Saffy, 7.Tom Chamberlain, 8. Gareth Delve (c), 9. Nick Phipps, 10. James O'Connor, 11. Cooper Vuna, 12. Lloyd Johansson, 13. Lachlan Mitchell, 14. Mark Gerrard, 15. Kurtley Beale.
Replacements: 16. Ged Robinson, 17. Rodney Blake, 18. Alister Campbell, 19. Michael Lipman, 20. Nic Stirzaker, 21. James Hilgendorf, 22. Julian Huxley